- Conduct: Users of SLIS Library are expected to follow the University of Wisconsin-Madison Libraries Code of Conduct.
- Noise Levels: The SLIS Library is not a quiet library, however please be considerate to your other patrons. Please set your phone to silent or vibrate and take calls in the hallway. There are headphones available for use at the circulation desk if you wish to listen to music or play video on computers.
- Quiet Study Areas: SLIS Library invites groups to meet in the library to work on projects. If you are seeking a quiet study area, the area located on the northwestern side of the library is designated as a quiet study area. We ask that groups do not work in this area.
- Food and Drink in the Library: Food is permitted in the library but we encourage people to take advantage of the Commons Area, located at 4207 Helen C. White Hall.
- Stand Alone Computer Use: The computers located near the circulation desk are meant for short-term use (approximately 15 minutes or less). Please move to a computer lab for longer computing needs.
- Computer Lab Use: The SLIS Computer Lab is available for the use of SLIS faculty, staff and students. Please refer to the weekly computer lab schedule located near the entrance or on the SLIS Computer Lab website before entering to prevent disruption. Food and drinks are not permitted in the lab.
- Materials may be checked out with a UW-Madison ID, Affiliate Borrowing card or an Annual Fee Card. For more information on UW Libraries borrowing privileges see the UW Libraries Borrowing information page.
- Periodicals, closed reserve materials, reference books, and various special collection (see descriptions in Collections) materials do not circulate out of the library.
- New books are displayed on the New Book Shelf just inside the entrance to the library and may be checked out for two weeks.
|General Collection||Most Users*: a semester loan with 2 renewals|
|Children and Young Adult Collection||Most Users: a semester loan with 2 renewals|
|Theses/Dissertations||Most Users: a semester loan with 2 renewals|
|Video/DVD||Most Users: a semester loan with 2 renewals|
|New Books||2 weeks with no renewals|
|Picture Books||1 weeks with no renewals|
|Closed Reserves||2 hours; in library use only|
|Open Reserves||Varies: 1 day for class texts and generally 1 week for other materials|
* UW Faculty/Staff have semester loan privileges.
Renewing, Recalling & Returning
- You may renew SLIS Lab Library materials by any of the following methods:
- Library Catalog: Your Library Catalog Account
- In person: present the title and/or barcode number for each item you wish to renew. You can bring the books themselves or your overdue notices to the SLIS Laboratory Library Circulation Desk.
- Telephone: (608) 263-2960 (make sure to have your items readily available)
- Most items may be recalled for use by another patron. Each patron is guaranteed at least two week's use of general circulation items as well as has the right to acquire an item in general circulation with no more than a two week waiting period. Use the Library Catalog to place a recall request.
- SLIS Lab Library is a participant of the UW Libraries Open Return System, meaning most items can be returned to libraries across campus. Reserve items must be returned to the SLIS Library.